How to complain about health services in Herefordshire

Who you need to contact when you want to complain about a health service.
Alternative text

When should I complain?

As soon as possible. Complaints should be made within 12 months of the date of the event that you're complaining about.

Who do I complain to?

There are many different providers of healthcare in Herefordshire. When you want to make a complaint, you normally complain directly to the provider of the service. However, you can complain to the organisation that funds them instead.

If you are unsure how to complain directly to the provider, you can ask them to give you a copy of their complaints procedure. This will tell you who to contact, how they will handle your complaint, and how they will learn from your complaint.

How do I complain about primary care (GPs, dentists, pharmacies and opticians)?

You can either complain directly to the provider (which may be better for informal and quick resolution) or you can complain to NHS England, which funds these services. Complaints cannot be raised with NHS England if they have been made to the provider first.

 NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT

 0300 311 2233 with the title:  For the attention on the complaints team.

For more information: 

How do I complain about local hospitals?

Before making a formal complaint, you may wish to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (better known as PALS) at Wye Valley Trust.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service

 01432 372986

For more information:


To make a formal complaint

 01432 364191

 Complaints Department, Patient Experience Team, Wye Valley NHS Trust, Union Walk, Hereford. HR1 2ER

For more information:


How do I complain about mental health services?

In Herefordshire, mental health services are provided by Herefordshire and Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust.

Patient Relations Team

 Herefordshire and Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust, 2 Kings Court, Charles Hastings Way, Worcester, WR5 1JR

01905 681517

For more information and an online submission form:


How do I complain about children's services?

Herefordshire Council

 Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE

 01432 260535

For more information:


How do I complain about Adult Social Care

Herefordshire Council

What if I’m unhappy with the result of my complaint?

If you are unhappy with the outcome of a complaint about any NHS provider, you can appeal to the Parliamentary and  Health Service Ombudsman.

You can only contact the Ombudsman once the organisation you complained to first have completed their response, or if it has not been sorted out after 6 months.

 0345 015 4033  (Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5.00pm | Friday 8.30am to 12pm)

If you need support to make a complaint you can contact Onside Advocacy 

  • They can provide you with an advocate; a person who will help you to complain, and make sure that you understand your options.
  • If you can self-advocate, they can provide you with the information and support you need to navigate the complaints system. 

01905 27525

Onside Independent Advocacy, Williamson House,14 Charles Street, Worcester, WR1 2AQ